LOS ORIGENES DE LA COMUNIDAD

English version below

Hacia finales de los años 20, en la parte sur de la isla empezaba a nacer otra comunidad, que echaría raíces muy profundas. En 1929, no sabemos la fecha, ni el mes, pero sí el lugar: fue Castleburg donde por primera vez se reunió un pequeño grupo de católicos para celebrar la eucarstía.

Esta comunidad comenzó, como la Iglesia debe ser, peregrina, pues no tenía lugar fijo para reunirse. Por algún tiempo se reunieron para celebrar la misa en Great House en Estate Adventure, luego cambiaron de sitio y llegaron a Estate Big Diamond , donde la misa se celebraba a las diez de la mañana. También en Estate Lower Love, se reunía otro grupo. Allí la misa se celebraba a las nueve de la mañana, en Kofresí, en la residencia de la familia Rodríguez (actualmente vive en el mismo lugar).

Durante varios años la misa se celebró en ambos lugares por los sacerdotes redentoristas de San Patricio, aunque algunas veces venían de Holy Cross. Así lo testimonian Inez Williams, Vicenta Monell, Joan C. Sackey y Julio Rodríguez, que son actualmente miembros activos de la comunidad de San José. Todo esto nos lleva a penar que los orígenes de nuestra comunidad cristiana de san José, se rremonta hacia el año 1929.

NECESIDAD DE CONSTRUIR UNA CAPILLA

Hacia el año 1940 en Lower Love, asistían personas de distintos lugares de alrededor como Upper Love, Bethlehem, New Works para escuchar la Palabra de Dios. También había personas hispanas que participaban de la celebración. Los padres redentoristas al ver que la comunidad aumentaba y no tenía un lugar apropiado para celebrar la eucaristía, lanzaron la idea de construir una iglesia. Cuenta la señora Vicenta Monell, quien preparaba el altar para la misa, que después del anuncio sobre construir la iglesia, la gente se entusiasmo y empezó a dar dinero y ella lo recibía, para darselo al sacerdote.

En enero de 1941, los padres redentoristas decidieron comprar dos acres de tierra en Lower Love para construír la futura iglesia. El costo, en auquel entonces, fue de $100.00 por acre. El proyecto continuaba, pero el terreno comprado no era lugar que favoreciera a todos los católicos, tanto de Diamond School, como de Lower Love. El Padre Dios, que constantemente quía a su pueblo, les iluminó a encontrar la solución del problema. Sucedió que la VI Company tenía un terreno en Mount Pleasant. El Padre Mark Knoll, por medio de la familia Gaffney, buscó la posibilidad de un intercambio de terreno. La compañía aceptó, y así fue como se encontró el lugar más céntrico y apropiado para que los católicos de esta parte de Santa Cruz pudieran reunirse para celebrar con gran gozo su fe en el Señor Dios.

Para asegurar que el lugar fuera el más apropiado, en noviembre de 1946, el vicario viceprovincial de los padres redentoristas que estaba de visita, vino a Mount Pleasant para inspeccionar el lugar propuesto para construír la iglesia. En el periódico redentorista Redemtorist Journal aparece esta nota: En noviembre, nuestro vicario viceprovincial nos ha visitado. También visitó Mount Pleasnt para inspeccionar el sitio que se había propuesto para la capilla, que se había hablado desde hacía 10 años antes (10 años antes de 1945--Coulter). Aquellos que son optimistas piensan que podremos tener una capilla muy muy pronto . Esta visita contribuyó para se decidiera que la capilla se construyera en Mount Pleasant.

LA PRIMERA PIEDRA

En una emotiva celebración,en que asistieron muchas personas, el Padre Mark Knollm , celebró la misa dominical el domingo 5 de mayo de 1946 y después bendijo la primera piedra. El lunes 6 se inició la construcción de nuestra actual capilla de San José, em Estate Mount Pleasant, que es lugar más céntrico entre Diamond School y Lower Love.

La primera vez que apareció en el periódico una noticia sobre la construcción de nuestra capilla fue el día lunes 3 de junio de 1946, en el St. Croix Avis: Una nueva capilla católica, que será parte de la parroquia de San Patricio en Frederiksted, se comenzó a construír en Estate Mount Pleasant, a un lado de Centerline Highwaqy. La capilla tendrá aproximadamente 70 pies por 28 y se construirá con bloques de concreto. La cúspide del techo se levantará arpoximadamente a 20 pies del cimiento de la construccuón.... La capilla se stá construyendo con los fondos que los parroquianos y otros han donado; también de lo que sale de actividades y fiestas que se hacen... La construcción de la capilla comenzó el 6 de mayo y los cimientos ya están terminados.

Los bloques que se usaron en nuestra capilla, se fabricaron junto al atrio del templo de san Patricio. Los trabajadores avanzaban rápidamente, de tal forma que a finales de mayo los cimientos estaban ya terminados. La capilla estaba programada para terminarse en el mes de agosto. Hay una nota curiosa en El St.Croix Avis que llama la atención: la capilla que se estaba construyendo todavía no tiene nombre: Los planes que los padres redentoristas de Frederiksted tienen es que la capilla se terminará de construír a finales de agosto, si se retrasa será por falta de materiales. No se ha decidio todavía el nombre de la capilla .

Los planes previstos para terminar la capilla, no pudieron realizarse y fue precisamente en el mes de agosto de 1946, que la construcción tuvo que detenerse poque los materiales no llegaron a tiempo. El avance de la nueva capilla en Mount Pleasant ha sido detenido por falta de material. Es muy difícil obtener suficiente material de toda clase. Una orden de aluminio precedente de Nueva York ha sido retrasada debido a un ahuelga naritima (Redemptorist Journal, August 10, 1946).

Después de esta interrupción, el material finalmente llegó e inmediatamente Mr. Brown continuó la obra. Esta vez ya no hubo obstáculos que detuvieran la construcción, así que los trabajos continuaron hasta llegar a terminarse la capilla. A pesar del retraso, la capilla se construyó con gran rapidez. En siete meses la obra estaba terminada.

CONSAGRACION DE LA CAPILLA

Estamos en diciembre de 1946, el edificio está a punto de terminarse y los preparativos de la bendición y la consagración de la capilla también. Los católicos de esta parte del sur de Santa Cruz, estaban viviendo momentos de mucha ilusión y esperanza, al ver que aquel sueño, que 17 años antes había comenzado, allá en Castleburg, ahora se estaba realizando en Mount Pleasant. La vida cristiana se vive de promesa y cumplimiento, animada por la esperanza y la gracia de Dios.

Todas las cosas pertenecen a Dios y por lo tanto se deben ofrecer a El. La capilla recién construída tenía que consagrarse a Dios. El Padre Knoll y la comunidad prepararon la fiesta e invitaron al obispo James Peter Davis, que residía en San Juan de Puerto Rico, para que consagrara la capilla y después celebrara la primera misa. También se invitó a algunos sacerdotes redentoristas.

Llegamos así al 15 de diciembre de 1946, el gran dìa fue domingo día del Señor (En este año 1946, la fecha y día coinciden). Todos los preparativos estaban listos, la cermonia de consagración de la capilla estaba programada a las 9:30 de la mañana y después se celebraría solemnemente la misa. Era tercer domingo de adviento, que se le conoce como el Domingo de la Alegría ; hermosa coincidencia, puesto que todos estaban felices por la nueva capilla.

LA PACIENTE ESPERA

La comunidad estaba reunida y todos esperaban con gran gozo la venida del obispo Davis. Todo estaba listo par que se iniciara la celebración, pero el obispo no llegaba. Despúes de un buen tiempo de espera, el padre Mark Knoll decidió celebrar la misa. Era la primera que se celebraba en la capilla recién construída. En esta ocasión asistió tanta gente que la
capilla quedó pequeña para dar cabida a todos.

El obispo no pudo llegar a tiempo, porque el avión, que le condicía a Santa Cruz, se había quedado en Santo
Tomás. Mientras los fieles, después de haber participado de la misa, se mantenían en espera pacientemente, para ver si el obispo se aparecía. Para pasar el tiempo, el padre Knoll empezó a contarles un poco la historia de como se había llegado a realizar este hermoso proyecto: hace 17 años -dijo- desde que el padre Meehan, C.Ss.R., celebró la primera misa en Castleburg, hasta que se comenzó la construcción de este edificio... La campana, cabe mencionar, fue donada por el difunto Tomás Gaffney; también el señor Arnol Golden, donó mucho antes de morir, $500.00, para la construcción de la capilla -el padre Knoll agradeció a los bienechores y les exhortaba a todos diciendo ahora tienen un lugar que les pertenece y en el que pueden alabar a Dios Todopoderoso (West End News, December 15, 1946).

Ese día la fiesta de Mount Pleasant fue muy especial, el West End News más abajo nos dice: Cuando el obrispo llegó a los terrenos de la capilla, fue recibido por una banda de la escuela de San Patricio, que interpretó el himno To Jesus Heart All Burning . La ceremonia de consagraciín fue precidida por una pequeña procesión encabezada por los acólitos, los sacerdotes y el obispo Davis... Su excelencia bendijo primero la parde de afuera y luego la parte interior del edificio, hasta terminar la ceremonia en el altar. Desde aquel año de 1929, que se celebró por primera vez la misa en Castleburg hasta el 15 de diciembre de 1946, la comunidad no tenía un lugar para celebrar su fe, pero le llegó el momento oportuno. El sueño se había realizado, la parte sur tenía ya un lugar donde reunirse para celebrar su fe. Los padres redentoristas de San Patricio siempre atendieron a la comunidad cristiana en esta parte sur de Santa Cruz.

Desde aquel domingo 15 de diciembre de 1946 se celebra la eucaristía cada domingo en este hermoso lugar, en la capilla de San José, esposo de la Vírgen, en Mount Pleasant. La capilla quedó bajo el cuidado pastoral de los padres redentoristas de San Patricio hasta 1973. Durante este tiempo se celebraron los sacramentos como bautismos, primeras comuniones y bodas. El primer bautizo en la nueva capilla fue el Sr. Mark L. Milligan en 1947. Más tarde comenzó la preparación para la primera comunión, que se realuzaba en algunas casas. La vida de fe fue creciendo y la comunidad empezó a testimoniar su fe y su amor a los hermanos y hermanas.

La comunidad de san José desde su origen ha sido bilingüe. Si el sacerdote que celebraba la misa hablaba un poco de español, dirigía algunas palabras a los hispanos. Somos, pues, herederos de una comunida bilingüe por tradición.

Durante 1930 a 1950 llegaron muchas personas de Puerto Rico, principalmente de Vieques, Culebra, Fajardo y de la Costa del Este para cortar caña en Santa Cruz. Se trató de atender pastoralmente a estas personas. En 1950, en San Patricio, el padre Ed Hart dio una gran misión en español y tuvo mucho éxito, asistieron muchísimos hispanos. Para seguir respondiendo al hambre de Dios, que los hispanos tenían, en 1957, el padre Arthur Donnelly, párroco de San Patricio, estableció una misa dominical en español. Es muy posible que en la capilla de San José, también se realizaron algunas actividades o celebraciones para los hispanos en aquel tiempo.

INDEX PAGE
 

THE ORIGINS OF THE COMMUNITY

Versión en español arriba

By the end of the 1920 s, in the southern part of the island, a new community was forming that would grow deep roots. In 1929 at Castleburg, we don t know the day nor month, a small group of Catholics got together to celebrate the Eucharist for first time.

This community was born as church should be, a pilgrim, since there was no fixed place to meet. For some time, they meet to celebrate the mass at the Great House in Estate Adventure. Then they changed their location to Estate Big Diamond , where the mass was celebrated at 10:00 a.m. After a period of pilgrimage they met a Estate Lower Love. The mass was celebrated at 9:00 a.m. at Kofresi at the residence of the Rodríguez family who are still living there. During that time the mass was celebrated at both places by the Redentorist fathers of St. Patrick. although on some occasions priests of Holy Cross assisted. This is attested by Mrs., Inez Williams, Mrs. Vicenta Monell, Mrs. Joan Sackey and Mrs. Julia Rodríguez, who are still active members of the community of St. Joseph. It is safe to believe that the origins of our Christian community of St. Joseph goes as far back as the year 1929.

NEED TO CONSTRUCT A CHAPEL

Towards the year 1940, people from adjacent areas fathered to hear the word of God. There were also many Hispanics who participated in the celebration. Mrs. Vicenta Monell tells us that for a period of time she was responsible for preparing the altar for the celebration of the mass, a service she still renders on occasions. The idea to build a new church became stronger as the community grew and did not have an appropriate place to celebrate the Eucharist. Moved by this reality, in January of 1941, the Redemptorist fathers decided to purchase two acres of land at Estate Lower Love for the future chapel. The cost at the time was $100.00 per acre. The project continued, but the purchases land was not the most favorable place for the Catholics that lived in this part of the island. Our Father God, who constantly guides His people, enlightened them to find a solution to the problem. The V.I. Company owned land in Mount Pleasant. Father Knoll, because of his acquaintance with the Gaffney Ramily, explored the possibility of exchanging the land. The V.I Company accepted. In this way a central location was found for the Catholics of this part of St. Croix to come together to celebrate with great joy their faith in God the Lord.

To ensure that the place was the most appropriate, in November of 1946, the visiting viceprovincial vicar of the Redemptorist fathers came to Mount Pleasant to inspect the proposed site for the construction of the Church. The Redemptorist Journal noted: In November, our viceprovincial vicar is visiting with us. He also visited Mount Pleasant to inspect the site that has been proposed for the chapel, and which has been spoken of for the past 10 years (10 years before 1945-Coulter). Those who are optimists believe that we can have a church very soon. Truly, the work was realized with great speed because seven months later, the construction was completed.

At the beginning of 1946, the dream that began 17 years before had become a reality. The interest of those brothers and sisters blossomed and the project of constructing the chapel began rapidly. Father Knoll assumed the responsibility of this great task and asked Mr. Henry D. Brown (now deceased), carpenter and contractor, to take charge of constructing the chapel.

THE FIRST STONE

In a very emotional celebration with many in attendance, Father Mark Knoll celebrated the Sunday mass on May 5, 1946, and then blessed the first stone. The following day, the construction of the chapel of St. Joseph began at Mount Pleasant, under the direction of Mr. Brown. This was the fourth and last site.

The first time that any newspapers article about the building of our chapel appeared in the St. Croix Avis was on June 3, 1946: A New Catholic chapel, which will become a part of the St. Patrick s Parish of Frederiksted, is begin build at Estate Mount Pleasant, adjacent to the Centerline Highway. The chapel will be about 70 feet by 28 feet and will be built of concrete blocks. The spire will rise approximately 20 feet form above the roof of the building... The chapel is being built from funds donated by parishioners and others, and form the proceeds of programs and entertainment s... Work on the chapel was begun on May 6th and the foundation is now complete.

The blocks used in our chapel were fabricated next to the atrium of St. Patrick s temple. The work moved rapidly that the foundation was completed by the end of May. The completion of the chapel was planned to the month of August, unless delayed by lack of necessary materials. No name has as yet been decided upon.

The foreseen deadline to Finnish the chapel was not met. It was precisely in the month of August 1946 that the construction had to be stopped because the materials did not arrive on time. The boat transporting the aluminum was deleted due to a strike: Progress on the new chapel in Mount Pleasant has been hindered by the serious lack of material. It is very difficult to obtain enough material of any kind. An order of aluminum from New York has been delayed due to the present maritime strike.
(Redemption Journal, August 10, 1946).

After this interruption, the material finally arrived and Mr. Brown immediately continued the work. This time there were no more obstacles stopping the construction. Therefore, the work continued until the chapel was completed. Despite the delay, the chapel was completed in seven months.

CONSECRATION OF THE CHAPEL

By December 0f 1946, the building and the preparations for the blessed of the chapel were almost complete. The Catholics of this southern part of St. Croix were living moments of much illusion and hope, as they saw their dream which flourished 17 years before at Castleburg, now being realized at Mount Pleasant. Their Christian life was lived with promise and fulfillment, animated by the hope and graces of God.

All things belong to God, therefore , we need to offer them to Him. The recently built chapel needed to be consecrated. Father Knoll and the community invited Bishop James Peter Davis who resided in San Juan, Puerto Rico, to celebrate the first mass and to consecrate de chapel. The Redemptorist fathers were also invited. On December 15, 1946 (in 1996, the day coincides with the date exactly 50 years ago), all the preparations were ready. The ceremony for the consecration of the chapel was schedule for 9:00 a.m. to be followed by a solemn mass. It was the third Sunday in advent which is known as the Sunday of happiness, a beautiful coincidence since all were very happy for the new chapel.

The community was assembled and awaited with great joy the arrival of Bishop Davis. Everything was ready for the celebration and the consecration would take place immediately after. By then, if was decided that the chapel would be named after St. Joseph, the spouse of Mary . The community kept waiting for some time, and there was no sight of the Bishop. After the long wait, Father Knoll decided to celebrate the mass, which would be the first to be celebrated in the recently constructed chapel. On that occasion so many people attended, that the chapel was too small to accommodate everyone.

THE PATIENT WAIT

The bishop could not arrive in St. Croix because his flight was stranded in St. Thomas. Meanwhile, the mass had ended and the fateful waited patiently for the bishop to appear. To kill some time, Father Knoll began to relate the history that had brought about the realization of this wonderful project: It has been 17 years since Father Meehan, C.Ss.R. held the first Mass at Castleburg to the time that ground was broken for this building... The bell was donated by the late Thomas Gaffney. The late Sir Arnold Gllden, Papal Night, made a gift of $500.00 toward the building of the chapel, . Father Knoll gave thanks to the benefactors and encouraged everyone by saying. The rejoicing should be all the more significant to those who have kept the faith all these years and now have a place of their own in which to worship Almighty God. (West End News, December 16, 1946) .

At about noontime, Father Knoll announced the arrive of the bishop. At that moment, the faces and hearts of everyone rejoiced and all were favorable disposed to receive the bishop. After greeting the bishop everyone participated in the celebration of the consecration. The chapel was dedicated in honor of St. Joseph, spouse of the Virgin Mary. (West End News, December 16, 1946). Today, we also celebrate St. Joseph the Worker.

This day of merriment at Mount Pleasant was very special, the West End News tell us: As the Bishop arrived on the ground of the chapel, he was greeted by a band from St. Patrick s School which struck up the hymn To Jesus Heart All Burning . The consecration ceremony was proceeded by a short procession, headed by the acolytes, the Fathers and Bishop Davis... With much solemnity and at the proper time, the blessing of the chapel took place. His Excellent first blessed the outside, then the inside of the building. The remanded of the ceremony took place at the altar .

From that day in 1929 when the first mass was celebrated at Castleburg until November 15, 1946, there wasn t an
appropriate place for Catholics to celebrate their faith, but the time had arrived. The dream had become a reality. The Catholics of the southern part of the island now had a place to come together to celebrate their faith. The Redmptorist fathers of St. Patrick always took care of the Christian community in this southern part of St. Croix.

Since that Sunday, December 15, 1946, the Eucharist has been celebrated every Sunday in this chapel of St. Joseph, spouse of our Blessed Virgin. The chapel remained under the pastoral guidance of the Redemptorist fathers of St. Patrick until 1973.

During that time, the sacrament of baptism, first communion and matrimonial were celebrated. Religious education for first communion was taught at various homes of the parishioners.- The first person to be baptized in the chapel was Mr. Mark L. Milligan in 1947, and shortly after, preparation for first communion began. The life of faith has always been alive and the Christian community has given testimony constantly of its faith and love for its brothers and sisters.

From its origin, the community of St. Joseph has been bilingual. If the priests who celebrated mass spoke some Spanish, they would say some words to the Hispanics. We were, therefore, heirs of a bilingual community tradition.

During 1930 to 1950, many people came to St. Croix from Puerto Rico, mainly from Vieques, Culebra and Fajardo to cut sugar cane, and the eastern coast. Attempts to minister to them were made. In 1950, in St. Patrick, Father Ed Hart gave a great mission in Spanish with great success and with many Hispanics in attendance. In 1957, to continue responding to the Hispanics hunger for God, Father Arthur Donnelly, parochial priest of St. Patrick, established a Sunday mass in Spanish. It is very possible that, at that time, some activities and celebration were held in Spanish at St. Joseph.

INDEX PAGE